Those of us paying attention to End Times prophecy have heard a lot about the current Blood Moon Tetrad. I’ve read conflicting accounts and confusing accounts and inaccurate accounts of what it is and what it may or may not signify with regard to Jesus’ Second Coming.
So I did my own research.
- “Blood Moon” is simply a colorful name for a total eclipse of the moon.
- “Tetrad” means four.
- “Blood Moon Tetrad” is four total lunar eclipses in a row.
When Christians speculate about the significance of the current Blood Moon Tetrad, they’re not talking about ANY four total lunar eclipses in a row. They’re talking about only those that coincide with the Jewish holidays of Passover and Sukkot.
At the NASA website, there is a page called “Six Millennium Catalog of Lunar Eclipses” on which the number of Blood Moon Tetrads per century is given for every century from 3,000 BC to 3,000 CE. As you can see here, four lunar eclipses in a row are unusual, but nothing like as rare as I’ve heard claimed.
I looked at every one of the tetrads since Jesus’ First coming and found only eleven during which the eclipses coincided with the beginning of the Jewish holy weeks of Passover (sundown Nisan 14) and Sukkot (sundown Tishri 14).
These are the only eleven tetrads since Jesus’ First Coming that coincided with Passover and Sukkot.
The interest in Blood Moon Tetrads is based on these End Times prophecies:
Joel 3:4-5 – “The sun will darken. The moon will turn blood-red. Everyone who calls upon the name of the LORD will escape harm.”
Matthew 24:29-31 – “The sun will be darkened. The moon will not give its light. The stars will fall from the sky. The sign of the Son of Man will appear.”
Rev 6:12-14 – “The sun turned black. The moon became like blood. The stars fell to the earth. The sky divided like a torn scroll.”
There is nothing about any tetrad of red moons, so while the current tetrad is interesting and unusual, it is not enough on its own to say “The End Times Are Here!” For one thing, we also need a total solar eclipse, so I looked at the NASA solar eclipse site to see if I could eliminate any of the eleven tetrads.
- I lost both of the tetrads in the 2d century, plus the one in the 15th century, because no total solar eclipses fell within those Blood Moon Tetrad dates. That left me with eight tetrads.
- I lost the two in the 3d and 15th centuries, because while there were total solar eclipse within those tetrads, they didn’t fall on significant dates in the Jewish calendar. That left me with six tetrads.
- Of these six, three were in the first millennium, so while they might be interesting for some other reason, I decided I could eliminate them from End Times consideration. That left me with only the following three tetrads.
- “Six Millennium Catalog of Lunar Eclipses” @ http://www.eclipsewise.com/lunar/LEcatalog/LEcatalog.html
- “Six Millennium Catalog of Solar Eclipses” @ http://www.eclipsewise.com/solar/SEcatalog/SEcatalog.html
- Hebrew-Roman Calendar @ http://www.cgsf.org/dbeattie/calendar/
- International Date Line @ http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dateline.html. This is an imaginary line running longitudinally through the Pacific Ocean between Alaska and Siberia. If you cross the date line moving east, you subtract a day, whereas if you are moving west you add a day.