This article is worth reading in full.
The Los Angeles Probation Department, after reviewing the evidence in Alexander Schauss’s Diet, Crime and Delinquency has banned candy, soda, chocolate, sugar and refined flour products from its juvenile centers. Schuss says “…when a person is placed on a good diet, at least it gives him or her the chemistry to respond to direction, information and education. There have been a lot of programs, a lot of studies, and not one of them has failed to show substantial results.“
Calcium and magnesium must be kept in balance for proper cellular function to occur.
Animation demonstrates the interaction of calcium and magnesium at a cellular level.
Seven toxic chemicals commonly found in fabric softeners:
1. Alpha-Terpineol: This causes central nervous system disorders and can also cause loss of muscular coordination, central nervous system depression, and headache.
2. Benzyl Alcohol: This causes central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, central nervous system depression, and, in severe cases, death.
3. Camphor: This is on the US EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. It is a central nervous system stimulant that causes dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles, and convulsions.
4. Chloroform: This is on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. It is neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
5. Ethyl Acetate: This is on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. It is a narcotic. It may cause headaches and narcosis (stupor).
6. Linalool: This is a narcotic that causes central nervous system disorders. In studies of animals, it caused ataxic gait (loss of muscular coordination), reduced spontaneous motor activity, and depression.
7. Pentane: This causes headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapors causes central nervous system depression.
What else can you use to soften your clothes? Wool dryer balls. 3 balls for small/med load, 5-6 for large. You can buy a six-pack here for $17, which is a heckuva deal, since the 3 skeins of 100% pure wool yarn you’d need to make your own costs nearly that much:
But if you want to make your own, maybe cuz you already have wool yarn scraps in your craft stash, simple instructions are posted here:
Check your prenates for choline. Prenatal vitamins have not contained it in the past, but research has inspired the AMA to vote to include it. I dunno how long it’ll take manufacturers to get a round tuit, though, so if yours does not contain choline, seriously consider buying it separately. It’s important to brain development.
Screenshot from Consumer Lab:
We got one of these for Christmas. It’s BRILLIANT, especially in a hot shower. HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who has “hot” trigger points, especially in back where it’s hard to reach on your own.
Most carnivores, particularly men, are able to meet their iron requirements from food alone. Young children and pregnant, menstruating, and lactating women have higher requirements and vegetarians have more trouble absorbing what they eat, because the iron in plant sources is absorbed only half as well as that from animal sources.
If you or your doctor decide to include an iron supplement in your diet, here are a few tips:
- Taking iron with Vitamin C improves the uptake of the iron.
- Antacids, soy protein, coffee and tea, eggs, whole-grain cereals and breads, and spinach decrease uptake. Separate these foods from your iron supplement by one hour.
- Calcium, zinc, manganese, magnesium or copper supplements decrease uptake. Separate mineral supplements from iron supplements by two hours.
Taking iron on an empty stomach improves uptake, but it also upsets lots of tummies.
- If your iron supplement gives you a tummy ache, take it with a meal and/or switch to a different form. Ferrous bisglycinate, ferrous glycinate, or iron amino acid chelates are supposed to be tolerated better.
- If your iron supplement makes you constipated, try a different form. The type of iron in each supplement is listed on the label.
I suffered internal bleeding in 2016, losing enough blood that it took a year on iron supplements to get back to normal. The first one I tried made me itch. Simply changing brands solved the problem.
Excessive iron intake can be harmful. Don’t take too much!
- Ages under 13: 40 mg per day
- Ages over 13: 45 mg per day
The RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) is the minimum needed to avoid deficiency.
Ages 1-3: 7 mg
Ages 4-8: 10 mg
Ages 9-13: 8 mg
Ages 14-18: Males 11 mg; Females 15 mg
Ages 19 and older: Males 8 mg; Females 15 mg
Ages 19 to 50: Females: 18 mg
Ages 51 and older: Females: 8 mg
Pregnancy: 27 mg
Breast-feeding women younger than age 18: 10 mg
Breast-feeding women ages 19 and older: 9 mg
Following blood donation: 37.5 mg
On Oct 8, I started seriously supplementing with magnesium (lotion and ionic liquid), building up slowly as Dr. Dean recommends in her book, The Magnesium Miracle.
On Nov 5, I hit my target daily dose of 1,000 mg. (She recommends 700 mg/day for health and more for fixing a deficiency.)
On Nov 15, I read this in The Magnesium Miracle: “Too much calcium causes tension and tightness in all the muscles of the body, but when you have a balancing amount of magnesium, this tension releases within weeks, days, or even hours, depending on the underlying level of magnesium deficiency in your body.” (p 151)
I have had knots in my neck (~1″ below my ears) and on top of my shoulders for-practically-ever. I realized the knots in my neck are GONE. Those two spots are still a bit sore and my shoulders are still knotted, but wow, so much win!
On Nov 16, my chiropractor (who sees me bi-weekly) was working my back and said,
“Your muscles are much looser than they’ve ever been … by a lot!” WOOHOO!!
I use it a lot in my cooking and it’s absolutely brilliant as a home remedy for colds/flu. This was posted just now on the fermenting board I administrate:
“Honey/garlic fermented is amazing stuff. My entire family was exposed to the flu a few days ago. Yesterday, half of us started getting very achy and pukey feeling. I went to my cabinet and grabbed that stuff and had everyone take a spoon of it (1 garlic clove with honey). It wasn’t the worst thing I’ve taken haha. Within 30 minutes, I started feeling pretty good! All of us feel 100% fine today!”