One-time defenders of unsavory Clinton and Obama pardons are outraged by President Trump’s commutation of Roger Stone’s 40-month sentence for nonviolent criminal obstruction of a bogusly based and ridiculously over-prosecuted investigation.
They have short memories.
Bill Clinton pardoned …
- His own brother for felony distribution of cocaine.
- Four people involved in the Whitewater scandal for which he and Hillary Clinton were under investigation.
- Marc Rich, in what was a straight-up political payoff.
- His CIA director.
- His HUD secretary.
- Eight people convicted in an investigation of his Agriculture Department.
- Convicted terrorists, some of whom hadn’t even asked for clemency.
President Obama pardoned …
- Oscar Lopez Rivera, the defiantly unrepentant FALN leader.
- A U.S. soldier who passed top-secret information to WikiLeaks.
- His former Joint Chiefs of Staff vice chairman.
- Hundreds of drug offenders.
Obama’s administration perverted the course of justice by …
- Ensuring Hillary Clinton did not get indicted.
- Dropping a slam dunk case the New Black Panther Party because the defendants were all black.
- Obstructing the Fast and Furious investigation for which Obama’s attorney general was held in contempt of Congress.
- Ignoring his CIA director’s spying on the Senate Intelligence Committee.
- Turning a blind eye to abuses of power at the IRS.
N.b., I have used “pardoned” to cover both pardons and commutations. There is an important legal distinction between them, but belaboring it did not contribute to my point, so I went with simplicity.