Two peas in a pod.
Hitler was a Socialist. (Nazi was short for The National Socialist German Workers’ Party.)
In today’s parlance,
the political spectrum goes from
Left (most government)
to Right (least government).
So, in today’s political parlance, Communism and Socialism are on the Far Left; Anarchy and Unrestricted Capitalism are on the Far Right. Our system of Government-restricted Capitalism is in the middle.
IOW, Nazis were Leftists.
Back in the 20th century, Nazis were designated “far right” because the Nazis and the “far left” Communists LOATHED each other.
But the only significant distinction between the two was that Nazism was based on empowering the Aryan race over all others, while Communism was devoted to empowering the so-called “worker class” over all others.
- Both were heavily militaristic and murderously oppressive toward all political enemies.
- Both made the government into the state “god” and routinely persecuted religious believers of all kinds.
- Both heavily controlled the press and education, through which they demonized political enemies.
- Both persecuted free speech and disarmed the citizenry.
Our system slides around the middle a bit, depending on the amount of the regulation we permit at any given time.
- Under Obama, it was more Left.
- Under Trump, it’s gone more Right.
Some of the allegedly “Socialist” countries in Europe are actually in the middle and, in some instances (e.g., amount of red tape required to start a new business), some are further Right than we are.