Democrats are fer certain sure that people will stop killing each other, if only we outlaw guns. So let’s compare the number of abortions (which they cheer and would like to increase*) with some gun violence statistics I dug up on the internet.
- In 2012, one out of 33 gun homicides was justifiable (self-defense), while the rest were criminal.
- In 2016, the number of gun homicides in the U.S. = 14,415.
- Applying the 2012 estimate to get a guess-timate of criminal homicides = 14,000.
- Corollary: Something like 400 people used a gun to save themselves from criminal assault.
- Approximately 80% of criminal homicides are gang related.
- My guess is that gangs will not only not obey gun control laws, but will be emboldened to target more civilians in areas where they used to hold back for fear of a gun owner firing back.**
- Taking guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens who would use them for self-defense would likely result in those 400 dying instead of the criminals who assaulted them.
- Net change to total gun homicide deaths = zero.
- Taking guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens who would use them for criminal homicide might save as many as 2,800 lives.
- This presumes that individuals bent on murdering someone don’t just find themselves another weapon. This happens a lot in Great Britain, where guns are scarce, but murder by knives is prevalent. The same applies to suicides by gun. Gun ownership in Japan is very rare, but their suicide rate is higher than ours.
My guess-timate of what would happen if Democrats were to get their way and both expand abortion (e.g., making it free) while also banning private gun ownership:
- Abortion deaths: More than 926,200.*
- Gun homicide deaths: More than 14,415.**