Obama’s climate change legacy took a major hit today when President Donald Trump put his signature to a new executive order.
The Obama Administration believed that energy independence, job creation, and economic growth had to be sacrificed to protect the environment. The Trump Administration says that’s hooey; we can do it all.
- The new order rescinds a number of Obama’s climate change orders, including the Interior Department-imposed coal moratorium and the 2013 Climate Action Plan.
- It also directs every executive department and agency in the U.S. government to identify impediments to energy production.
- Obama’s Clean Power Plan, which has been tied up in the courts, will be reviewed and possibly find itself on the chopping block. Ditto the Clean Air Act.
From Stephen Moore:
One of my favorite stories of American history dates back to the 19th century when Col. Davy Crockett, who fought at the Alamo, served in Congress. In a famous incident, Congress wanted to appropriate $100,000 to the widow of a distinguished naval officer.
Crockett took to the House floor and delivered his famous speech, relevant as ever: “We have the right, as individuals, to give away as much of our own money as we please in charity; but as members of Congress we have no right to so appropriate a dollar of the public money. … I am the poorest man on this floor. I cannot vote for this bill, but I will give one week’s pay to the object, and if every member of Congress will do the same, it will amount to more than the bill asks.”
Crockett was the only member of Congress who donated personally to the widow, while the members of Congress who pretended to be so caring and compassionate closed their wallets.
It all goes to show that liberal do-gooders were as hypocritical then as they are today.
A coalition of 12 state attorneys general and one governor has filed a brief with a federal appeals court defending President Trump’s ban on travelers from six Muslim-majority nations.
The group’s filing argues Trump’s executive order regarding immigration and refugees is a legal action within his presidential powers.
Democrats are determined to obstruct the nomination of the eminently qualified Judge Gorsuch, because, as Kamala Harris put it, he “has consistently valued legalisms over real lives.”
Since “valuing legalisms” is Dumbocrat for “following the law”, what these clowns are really saying is that they won’t vote for Gorsuch because he’s such a good judge.
Trump said he was going to remove job-killing regulations and reduce the size of of the federal government and he’s doing it. Yesterday, he signed FOUR bills toward that end. I’m really excited about the two that get the feds out of education!
President Trump Signs House Joint Resolution 37, 44, 57 and 58
“It’s going to lead to a lot of jobs and be good for many, many people. … We have a lot more coming.”
- H.J.Res.37 – Cancels the so-called “blacklisting rule” that has made trial lawyers rich at the expense of job creating American businesses.
- H.J.Res.44 – Returns control of land use to state and local authorities.
- H.J.Res.57 – Returns control of elementary and secondary education to state and local authorities.
- H.J.Res.58 – Returns control of teacher preparation programs to state and local authorities.