According to Barack Obama, Muslim Americans have made many contributions “to building the very fabric of our nation and strengthening the core of our democracy.” That’s only his latest spewing of hot air on the subject. In August of 2010, he said, “American Muslims have made extraordinary contributions to our country.”
Islam 101 claims, “Unquestionably, Muslims have made an impact on the evolution of American society.” Then it provides a long list of items. The only notations from the period of our founding include:
- 1732 Ayyub ibn Sulaiman Jallon, a Muslim slave in Maryland, is set free by James Oglethorpe, founder of Georgia, and provided transportation to England. He arrived home (Boonda, Galumbo) from England in 1735.
- 1790 Moors from Spain are reported living in South Carolina and Florida.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh … some Muslim guy went home and then some other Muslim guys were maybe living here? Seriously? Those are major contributions to the very fabric of our nation?
The next item is:
- 1807 United States Congress prohibits the importation of slaves into America after Jan. 1, 1808. Despite suppression of the slave trade during the next 60 years, slavery reached its peak between 1840 and 1860. The last Slave ships to be confiscates by the federal government were Wildfire, Storm King, Williams, Erie, Echo, Cora, and Binita, all of which violated the ban on importing slaves.
It’s almost like they want us to believe that Muslims were the ones stopping those rogue slave ships from arriving, not the ones who were, you know, loading them up with slaves in the first place.
Islam, Blacks and African Slavery: The truth about the American Slave trade [9:19]
More “big Muslim contribution” as per Islam 101:
- 1856 The United States cavalry hired a Muslim by the name of Hajji Ali to experiment with raising camels in Arizona.
- 1865 An officer rescues a copy of the Qu’ran from the debris the war had made of the University of Alabama’s libraries.
- 1870 The Reverend Norman, a Methodist missionary, converts to Islam.
- 1893 A wave of Muslim immigrants arrives from the Middle East.
I swear … I am not making this up. The link is down below if you want to check. I googled and found out that the current camel population in the USA is 5,000 imported specimens. Apparently, Hajji the Camel Raising Muslim did not in fact contribute much of anything to America’s agricultural fabric.
The list shows that, in the 20th century, Muslims started founding Muslim associations. How does Muslims doing stuff with and for other Muslims ever contribute squat to America?
- 1919 Albanian Muslims establish two of the first associations for Muslims in the United States.
- 1920 The Red Crescent, a Muslim charity modeled after the International Red Cross, is established in Detroit.
- 1963 The Muslim Students Association (MSA) is established to aid foreign Muslims students attending schools in the United States.
- 1971 The Association of Muslim Scientists and Engineers is established.
- 1981 The first American Islamic library is established in Plainfield, Indiana.
- 1982 The Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) is established in Plainfield, IN. ISNA is now an umbrella organization for many active Islamic groups seeking to further the cause of Islam in the United States.
The book cited in the video “Islam, Blacks and African Slavery” is “The Legacy of Arab-Islam In Africa: A Quest for Inter-religious Dialogue.”