Investigators have asked the FBI to look at damage to the left hand lower portion of the crashed train’s windshield to try and determine if it was hit by a projectile as well.
Before Amtrak 188 crash occurred, there was nothing remarkable about its speed as it passed along its route.
- Amtrak trains have multiple systems to alert the engineer of excess speed.
- The engineer was in good health.
- The engineer was taking no drugs.
- The engineer is described as having been very conscientious.
- The engineer survived the crash, but suffered a concussion.
- He has no memory of the minutes before the train suddenly sped up.