Below are 11 major statements that Barack Obama has made about our military in Iraq:
- As candidate for Illinois Senator in 2002, he said, “I don’t oppose all wars. What I am opposed to is a dumb war.” Then he proceeded to explain what a Very Bad Guy Saddam Hussein is and how much better off Iraq and the world would be if he were gone.
- As a U.S. Senator in early 2007, he declared himself completely opposed to President Bush’s “Surge”, saying if it were up to him, he would “do the reverse. … I think he [Bush] is wrong, and I think the American people believe he’s wrong.” The Surge was a rousing success.
- As a U.S. Senator in summer 2007, he wrote that the Iraq War “never should have been authorized and never should have been waged.” Obama advocated troop withdrawal “with the goal of removing all combat brigades from Iraq by March 31, 2008.” At this point, the Surge had only just begun.
- As candidate for U.S. President in fall 2007, he said, “If we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am President, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank.” It was clear at this time that the Surge was working and that more of our boots on the ground was exactly what Iraq needed to keep the peace.
- After taking his Oath of Office in January 2009, he stated, “We’ll begin to responsibly leave Iraq to its people.” Anybody with any sense whatsoever knew this was a Very Bad Idea that would assuredly result in a resurgence in extremist Muslim violence, but he didn’t care.
- At a speech at Camp Lejeune in February 2009, he told all our enemies exactly when our troops would be leaving Iraq.
- On October 21, 2011, he reaffirmed his announcement of a hard date by which all our troops would be out of Iraq.
- At a final campaign stop before the 2012 elections, the President took credit for ending the War in Iraq. “I said I’d end the war in Iraq, I ended it,” he said.
- In August 2014, Obama blamed the horrific rise in violence by ISIS on George Bush.
- In September 2014, Obama reiterated his determination to NOT put U.S. boots on the ground.
- On February 11, 2015, Obama asked Congress for the authority to put U.S. boots on the ground in Iraq, because, you know, ISIS. We had that damn war won before HE took over and pissed it all away.
- H/t LW