This is a common idea, but it doesn’t hold up under scrutiny. Shortly before He was arrested and crucified, Jesus took some of His disciples to the Mount of Olives for a final teaching about the End Times. In this teaching, which is known as the Olivet Discourse, the Lord gave us enough information to be certain that the Rapture and the In-gathering for Final Judgment will be separate events.
N.b., the Olivet Discourse appears in all three Synoptic Gospels. The fullest treatment is Matthew 24-25. In Mark, it appears in chapter 13; in Luke, it is split between chapters 17 and 21.
Jesus listed four SKY SIGNS (Olivet Discourse) for when He comes in the CLOUDS:
1. The sun will be darkened.
2. The moon will not give its light.
3. The stars will fall from the sky.
4. The sign of the Son of Man will appear.
Three of these match the sky signs John saw (Rev 6:12-14) in the Seal Six event:
1. The sun turned black.
2. The moon became like blood.
3. The stars fell to the earth.
4. The sky divided like a torn scroll.
The sun and moon signs also match Joel’s (Joel 3:4-5) End Times prophecy:
1. The sun will darken.
2. The moon will turn blood-red.
3. Everyone who calls upon the name of the LORD will escape harm.
These SKY SIGNS do not match those given for the Final In-gathering.
- TRUMPET SEVEN: “The seventh angel blew his trumpet. There were flashes of lightning, peals of thunder, an earthquake and a violent hailstorm.” (Revelation 11:15,19)
- BOWL SEVEN: “The seventh angel poured out his bowl. There were lightning flashes, peals of thunder a great earthquake and large hailstones.” (Revelation 16:17,18,21)
There is nothing here about the sun or the moon. Moreover, instead of stars (fire) falling from the sky, there are gigantic hailstones (ice).
Jesus also said of the Rapture that only SOME will be gathered.
I tell you, on that night, they will see the Son of Man coming in a CLOUD with power and great glory. He will send out his angels with a trumpet blast, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the earth to the other. There will be two people in one bed; one will be taken, the other left. And there will be two women grinding meal together; one will be taken, the other left. There will be two men in the field; one will be taken, the other left behind. (Olivet Discourse)
Contrast this with Jesus’ description of the Final In-gathering.
When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious THRONE, and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. (Olivet Discourse)