On June 13, 2014, President Obama carefully SPELLED OUT the acronym ISIL as “EYE ESS EYE ELL”, but then said, “a terrorist organization that operates in both Iraq and in Syria.”
June 13, 2014 remarks by Obama: See first 30 seconds of video
Why is that weird? Because it is the more common acronym – ISIS – that stands for Islamic State in Iraq and Syria. ISIL stands for Islamic State in Levant.
I don’t think his insistence on ISIL is a mistake. With only a single exception on August 9, Obama has used “ISIL” in every statement he’s made this summer, even while reporters asking him questions referred to the group as “ISIS.”
Is his choice significant? I don’t know. Maybe ISIL is just what his intell wonks use. Or maybe he’s broadcasting a message of support for the destruction of Israel. I lean to the latter explanation, because I have not forgotten these two official White House photos. But I could be totally off base.
- June 13, 2014: Obama @ http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/06/13/statement-president-iraq
- August 7, 2014 Obama @ http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/08/07/statement-president
- August 9, 2014: Obama @ http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/08/09/statement-president-iraq
- August 11, 2014: Obama @ http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/08/11/statement-president-iraq
- August 14, 2014: Obama @ http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/08/14/statement-president
- August 18, 2014: Obama @ http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2014/08/18/president-speaks-iraq-and-ferguson#transcript
- August 20, 2014: Obama @ http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/08/20/statement-president
- August 28, 2014: Obama @ http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2014/08/28/president-obama-delivers-statement-economy-iraq-and-ukraine#transcript