Well, only according to President Unicorn, who told us over and over and over that the death of Osama bin Laden and removal of U.S. troops from Iraq meant that Bush’s “stupid” Global War on Terror was over, Over, OVER.
Those of us who have been PAYING ATTENTION have known disaster was inevitable … just like we know the economy is headed for a great big, possibly fatal crash because of the Obamacrats’ out-of-control spending. But that’s another story.
Today, I want to share the 2014 Junior Varsity to Evil Cancer timeline.
- On January 27, 2014, President Obama dismissed al-Qaeda inspired groups (like ISIS) as nothing more than junior varsity wannabes.
“The analogy we use around here sometimes, and I think is accurate, is if a jayvee team puts on Lakers uniforms that doesn’t make them Kobe Bryant. … I think there is a distinction between the capacity and reach of a bin Laden and a network that is actively planning major terrorist plots against the homeland versus jihadists who are engaged in various local power struggles and disputes, often sectarian,” Obama said in an interview with The New Yorker.
- On January 28, 2014, Obama said we needed to get off a “permanent war footing.”
Four Months Later …
- On May 28, 2014, Obama had to admit that, oopsie, these “jayvee” groups had indeed become Kobe Bryant.
“As the Syrian civil war spills across borders, the capacity of battle-hardened extremist groups to come after us only increases,” Obama said at West Point. “And the need for a new strategy reflects the fact that today’s principal threat no longer comes from a centralized al Qaeda leadership. Instead it comes from decentralized al Qaeda affiliates and extremists, many with agendas focused in the countries where they operate.”
- On June 24, 2014, after ISIS captured Mosul, Iraq, SecState Kerry admitted this came as a big surprise to the Obama Administration.
“We don’t have people embedded in those [Iraqi] units, and so obviously nobody knew that,” Kerry said on Fox News.
Yes, well, that’s what happens when President Ostrich insists we all play Let’s Pretend GWOT Is Over.
- On July 23, 2014, an Obama State Department official said ISIS is a “full-blown army … worse than al Qaeda.”
“It is al Qaeda in its doctrine, ambition and, increasingly, in its threat to U.S. interests. … In fact, it is worse than al Qaeda,” McGurk told the House Armed Services Committee. “[ISIS] is no longer simply a terrorist organization. It is now a full-blown army seeking to establish a self-governing state through the Tigris and Euphrates valley in what is now Syria and Iraq.”
- On August 8, 2014, Obama said the U.S. has a “strategic interest” in stopping them.
“We do have a strategic interest in pushing back ISIL. We’re not going to let them create some caliphate through Syria and Iraq, but we can only do that if we know that we’ve got partners on the ground who are capable of filling the void,” Obama told The New York Times. (IS, ISIS, and ISIL are all the same group.)
These “partners on the ground” would be the coalition Bush assembled for his “stupid” war …
Those former allies that Obama has systematically ignored and disrespected since Bush retired? Those partners that Obama left hanging when he pulled our troops out so he could do his “I killed Osama” end zone dance again and again?
- On August 20, 2014, after ISIS beheaded U.S. journalist James Foley, Obama called the group a “cancer” and SecState Kerry called them “evil.”
Junior Varsity to Evil Cancer in just seven months?!
Isn’t this like a doctor who ignored your symptoms until they had grown into a Stage 4 malignancy?
- August 21, 2014: Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel says ISIS is “beyond anything that we’ve seen”
“ISIL is as sophisticated and well-funded as any group that we have seen. They’re beyond just a terrorist group. They marry ideology, a sophistication of strategic and tactical military prowess. They are tremendously well funded. This is beyond anything that we’ve seen. So we must prepare for everything. And the only way you do that is that you take a cold, steely, hard look at it and … get ready.”
Oh, right. “Cold, steely, hard” and “prepare for everything” … you mean, like how BUSH did it?
Obama’s evolution on ISIS threat By Kristina Wong – 08/24/14