N.b., The text blocks below are excerpts to whet you appetite. The full article (linked below) is very well worth you time. I added the graphics.
10) Huffiness. “We [leftists] lived our lives in a constant state of outraged indignation. I did not want to live that way anymore. I wanted to cultivate a disposition of gratitude.”
9) Selective Outrage. “Much canonical, left-wing feminism is not so much support for women, as it is a protest against Western, heterosexual men. It’s an “I hate” phenomenon, rather than an “I love” phenomenon.”
8) It’s the thought that counts. “We focused so hard on our good intentions. … What depressingly little we did accomplish was often erased.”
7) Leftists hate my people. “I’m a working-class Bohunk. A hundred years ago, leftists loved us. … In the end, though, we didn’t show up for the Marxist happily ever after. We believed in God and we were often devout Catholics [and so] Leftists turned on us.”
6) I believe in God. “Hang out in leftist internet environments, and you will discover a toxic bath of irrational hatred for the Judeo-Christian tradition.”
5 & 4) Straw men and “In order to make an omelet you have to break a few eggs.” “One of those eggs was objective truth.” “Manipulating facts was not even a venial sin; it was a good.” “It is easier to orchestrate a mob in a familiar rendition of righteous rage against a sensationalized straw man than it is to produce a reasoned argument against a reasonable opponent.
2 & 3) It doesn’t work. Other approaches work better. “I went to hear David Horowitz speak in 2004. My intention was to heckle him. Horowitz said something that interrupted my flow of thought. He pointed out that Camden, Paterson, and Newark had decades of Democratic leadership. … That one stray comment from David Horowitz, a man I regarded as the enemy, sparked the slow but steady realization that my ideals, the ideals I had lived by all my life, were poisoning my students and Paterson, my city.”
1) Hate. “If hate were the only reason, I’d stop being a leftist for this reason alone. … You went to an anti-war rally because you hated Bush, not because you loved peace. Thus, when Obama bombed, you didn’t hold any anti-war rally, because you didn’t hate Obama. … I do have right-wing friends now and they do get angry and they do express that anger. But when I encounter unhinged, stratospheric vituperation, when I encounter detailed revenge fantasies in scatological and sadistic language, I know I’ve stumbled upon a left-wing website.”