Lefties rant and spew about how the eeeeeevil Koch brothers allegedly buy elections for Republicans and MUST BE STOPPED.
One might suppose from the fact that Democrats have dominated the federal political scene since January 2007 that the Koch brothers are rather ineffective morons. But that’s neither here nor there, since Open Secrets has compiled a list of actual Big Bucks Donors.
The Koch brothers are waaaaay down at #59. And six of the top ten are UNIONS that donated to Democrats 15 times what the Koch brothers donated to Republicans.
Facts can be so messy. This is no doubt why the Left avoids them as much as possible.
Full list of donors @ http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php. N.b., All donors listed at Open Secrets are linked to pages that describe the nature of the group. I compiled a simplified version of the Open Secrets list using this methodology:
- I ignored all donations less than 70% to a single party.
- I rounded the total up or down, then multiplied by the >70% figure given and rounded the answer.
- I ignored minority donations (less than 30%) for simplicity’s sake.
The breakdown I made of the TOP 100 DONOR TOTALS for the past 15 years that I used in my graphic:
$605 Million donated to Democrats by UNIONS and TRADE ASSOCIATIONS that gave 70% or more of total donations to ONE party.
- $49 Million : American Fedn of State, County & Municipal Employees
- $40 Million : Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- $33 Million : National Education Assn
- $33 Million : American Federation of Teachers
- $32 Million : Service Employees International Union
- $32 Million : Laborers Union
- $32 Million : Teamsters Union
- $31 Million : Communications Workers of America
- $30 Million : United Auto Workers
- $30 Million : Machinists & Aerospace Workers Union
- $29 Million : Carpenter &Joiners Union
- $29 Million : United Food & Commercial Workers Union
- $22 Million : National Assn of Letter Carriers
- $21 Million : Sheet Metal Workers Union
- $20 Million : Plumbers & Pipefitters Union
- $19 Million : Operating Engineers Union
- $18 Million : International Assn of Fire Fighters
- $17 Million : Air Line Pilots Assn
- $16 Million : Ironworkers Union
- $16 Million : United Steelworkers
- $15 Million : American Postal Workers Union
- $15 Million : United Transportation Union
- $14 Million : American Assn for Justice (Defense attorneys)
- $12 Million : National Air Traffic Controllers Assn
$157 Million donated to Democrats by CORPORATIONS, PACS and one PUBLIC UNIVERSITY that gave 70% or more of total donations to ONE party.
- $97 Million : ActBlue (Bundler of on-line donations to Democrats)
- $30 Million : EMILY’s List (Pro-Abortion)
- $17 Million : Time Warner
- $13 Million : University of California
$25 Million donated to Republicans by UNIONS and TRADE ASSOCIATIONS that gave 70% or more of total donations to ONE party.
- $14 Million : Associated Builders & Contractors
- $11 Million : National Restaurant Assn
$123 Million donated to Republicans by CORPORATIONS and PACs that gave 70% or more of total donations to ONE party.
- $17 Million : Altria Group (Philip Morris)
- $16 Million : Koch Industries
- $16 Million : National Rifle Assn
- $16 Million : Club for Growth (Fiscal conservatives)
- $14 Million : Union Pacific Corp
- $13 Million : Exxon Mobil
- $12 Million : Reynolds American
- $10 Million : American Financial Group (Carl H. Lindner)
- $ 9 Million : Southern Co (Utility)