Oct 29, 2012 Hair of the Dog with Stephen Green on Pajamas Media
In this clip [2:40], Andrew Sullivan says, “If Virginia and Florida go back to the Republicans, it’s the Confederacy … entirely. You put a map of the Civil War over this electoral map, you’ve got the Civil War.”
Andrew, buddy, learn some actual history, wouldja? Please?
The Republican Party was created for the express purpose of ending slavery. The first Republican presidential candidate lost, but the second one, Abraham Lincoln, won. (Surprised, Andrew? Didja think Lincoln was a Democrat?)
The Republican Lincoln had three main opponents, because the Democratic Party was unable to agree on whether slavery should be expanded into new states or not.
- Northern Democrats nominated Senator Stephen A. Douglas of Illinois, who had supported the 1856 Supreme Court’s Dred Scott Decision, which ruled that people of African descent were neither U.S. citizens, nor protected by the Constitution.
- Southern Democrats nominated the pro-slavery incumbent Vice-President, John C. Breckinridge of Kentucky, who won the states of the Deep South as well as the border states of Maryland and Delaware.
- Some southern Democrats joined the Constitutional Union Party which nominated former Senator, Speaker of the House, and Secretary of War John Bell of Tennessee. Although a slaveowner, Bell was one of the few southern politicians to oppose the expansion of slavery into new states.
When our first Republican president, Abraham Lincoln, won the election, Democrat-majority slave states seceded rather than accept him. When war broke out, Douglas supported the Union; Breckenridge and Bell supported the Confederacy.
Chrissy’s Site Bites @ http://news.webshots.com/photo/2852045420056011884dGGDdV
After the war, the Democratic Party benefited from white Southerners’ resentment of the Republican-imposed Reconstruction and dominated southern politics with a solidly white-supremacist platform that included all those things (e.g., Jim Crow laws) that today’s Democrat fear-mongers run around bleating Republicans want to bring back.
The thing is … Republicans can’t “bring them back” because they were never REPUBLICAN POLICIES. They were products of the Democratic Party.
The Democratic Party Platform in 1868:
Chrissy’s Site Bites @ http://news.webshots.com/photo/2073437370056011884yqWEJc
The results of the presidential election of 1868:
And the guys under those white hoods? They were Democrats.
The KKK or Ku Klux Klan is the name of three distinct movements in American history which advocated white supremacy, white nationalism, and anti-immigration, historically expressed through terrorism.
- The first Klan was founded in 1865 in Pulaski, Tennessee, by six veterans of the Confederate Army. A secret vigilante group, the Klan targeted freedmen and their allies, seeking to restore white supremacy by threats and violence, including murder, against black and white Republicans. In 1870 and 1871, the federal government passed the Force Acts, which suppressed Klan activity. However, new groups sprang up and started a fresh round of violence aimed at suppressing blacks’ voting and running Republicans out of office. These contributed to segregationist white Democrats regaining political power in all the Southern states by 1877.
- The second Klan was founded in Atlanta, Georgia in 1915. Because of urban industrialization and increased immigration, its membership grew most rapidly in cities, and spread out of the South to the Midwest and West. Its official rhetoric focused on the threat of the Catholic Church. At its peak in the mid-1920s, the organization claimed to include about 15% of the nation’s eligible population, approximately 4–5 million men. Internal divisions, criminal behavior by leaders, and external opposition brought about a collapse in membership and it finally faded away in the 1940s.
- The third Klan emerged after World War II and was associated with opposing the Civil Rights Movement and desegregation. During the 50s and 60s, they often forged alliances with Southern police departments, as in Birmingham, Alabama; or with governor’s offices, as with Democrat George Wallace of Alabama.
And what does the face of the Democratic Party look like now that most of them don’t wear those white hoods for their violent partays?
Michael Moore, MoveOn.org Create Most Offensive Campaign Ad Ever
So, Andrew, would you like to rethink your stupid remark?
Or would you prefer to squinch your eyes shut tight, put your fingers in your ears and chant “Obama! Obama!” really, really LOUDLY? It’s your choice cuz, hey, it’s a free country (for now).