CFL bulbs proven seriously DANGEROUS

By Chrissy the Hyphenated

Click on graphics to embiggen for easier reading.

CSB @ http://news.webshots.com/photo/2218496780056011884AmPZFW

CSB @ http://news.webshots.com/photo/2478224740056011884TmwbSg

CSB @ http://news.webshots.com/photo/2904822150056011884jWUupA

In Scandinavia, amalgam dental fillings containing mercury are banned.

In the United States, light bulbs containing mercury are soon to become mandatory.

Even careful handling of these bulbs does not make them safe enough to have them in our homes, particularly not around infants, children, childbearing women and the sick and elderly.

“Bulb explodes without warning,” reported NBCactionnews.com, May 21, 2010: Tom and Nancy Heim were watching TV recently, when Tom decided to turn on the floor lamp next to his recliner chair.  ‘I heard this loud pop…I saw what I thought was smoke, coming out of the top of the floor lamp,’ says Tom.  Nancy suddenly found glass in her lap.  She says, ‘I did not see it. I just heard it, and I noticed I had glass on me.’

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/money/consumer/dont_waste_your_money/cfl-light-bulb-risks

On February 23, 2011, TV NewsChannel 5 in Tennessee covered “a newly-released investigators’ report that blames a February 12 fatal fire in Gallatin on one of those CFL bulbs.”  Ben Rose, an attorney for the rehabilitative facility in which Douglas Johnson, 45, perished, said, “This result is consistent with our own private investigation. …We have heard reports of similar fires being initiated by CFLs across the country.”

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/14089367/disposal-of-cfl-light-bulbs-not-environmentally-friendly

“GE Helical 13 Watt light bulb.  After only 6 months of use.  This bulb started making funny noises and flickering… Finally, exploded on my kitchen table.” — Charles of South Webster, OH January 30, 2010.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/ge_light_bulbs_p3.html

“My GE 20W Helical bulb in my 1/2 bathroom caught on fire on 5/3/10.  The bulb snapped and glowed very brightly then caught on fire….The bulb was suppose to last 5 years but it was only about a year or so old.  I tried replacing it with a GE 26W bulb and the same thing happened immediately.” — Chantelle of Danville, PA May 15, 2010

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/ge_light_bulbs_p2.html#ixzz1IlIY8jEM

“My 80 year old mother turned on her reading lamp and the bulb exploded and the lamp shade caught fire.  She unpluged the lamp from the wall and the fire went out thank God.” — M. of Lahaina, HI March 30, 2010

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/ge_light_bulbs_p2.html#ixzz1IlIzUUjk

“I turned on an overhead bathroom light bulb and heard a pop and it exploded falling into the bathroom sink.  Nearly all of he flying glass went straight down so little damage was done; however, I was very thankful it did not get in my eyes.” — Patricia of Sammamish, WA October 20, 2010.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/ge_light_bulbs.html

“We purchased a 3-way light bulb this past year. [Special 3-way CFLs are made but cost more.]  Last night the bulb started a fire in the lamp….Had we not been there our house might have burned down.” — Tina of Redding, CT July 10, 2010

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/ge_light_bulbs.html

“I had a desk lamp CFL burn up right in front of me.  Switched it on and tiny sparks were emanating like a Van de Graaff generator.  Quickly switched it off; the plastic around the ballast was cracked and smoking” — Nisshin, November 30, 2008

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?190185-CFL-Ballast-Fire

SOURCE article @ http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/04/the_cfl_fraud.html
   Highly recommended reading. It contains MUCH MORE INFORMATION!
If you’re upset about the federal government dictating that you use dangerous light bulbs in your home whether you want to or not, please contact your federal legislators and ask they pass the Better Use of LIght Bulbs Act H.R. 91.
This law would eliminate the impending ban on the ordinary, incandescent bulbs we’re used to.

About these ads

13 Comments

Filed under Loose Pollen

13 responses to “CFL bulbs proven seriously DANGEROUS

  1. I have never bought one of these crazy bulbs and don’t have any in my house. The recommendations for clean-up when one breaks includes throwing out anything, such as bedding or clothing, that may have come into contact with it. The mercury is in a powder form, so it disperses into the air. The recommendation is to immediately evacuate your house and call in a specail cleaning crew. It’s a good thing they check all those baby toys for lead-based paint, huh?

  2. Ting

    I wonder what will happen if one of the CFL bulbs were to break inside your oven or refrigerator? Do you think you would have to buy a new appliance? I cannot believe we are at this point, and I blame the whole mess on lobbyists. What better illustration can you have for people who don’t pay attention than the GE component to the light bulb fiasco?

  3. I hate these bulbs, and no, they don’t outlast and outshine incandescents and about triple the price.

    I broke one moving a lamp. Since company was coming I didn’t have time to put on my haz-mat suit, evacuate all living things and let the house air out for 4 days. No, I vacuumed the darn thing……and I lived to tell about it :D So far ;P

  4. FranklytheNut

    You can get more light for less wattage with the stupid things, and I did NOT do anything special when one broke and I had to clean it up. I, too, survived…at least nobody’s buried me yet.

  5. Bob

    My daughter and I stayed in a hotel on Friday night, and I noticed that every lamp in the place had a curly-fry bulb in it (at least half a dozen of them just in our room). CFL bulbs are completely unsuited to any location where they will be turned on and off frequently, since they last longer than incandescents only if you aren’t constantly switching them on and off. It made me wonder how frequently the hotel cleaning staff must have to replace those things, and how carefully they observe the recommended procedure for cleaning up and disposing of broken bulbs. Hotel housekeepers work very hard for low wages, and it’s unlikely that they would think it worth their time to go through elaborate time-consuming rituals every time a bulb breaks. How do you know if the room you’re staying in has had a curly-fry bulb break in it recently? How do you know if the proper procedure for clean-up and disposal was followed? How do you know the person who used the room before you didn’t have a bulb break or explode all over the bedding or carpeting or drapes? If they are as dangerous as we are being told they are, the casualties are going to mount, and it will get to the point where people are afraid to stay in hotel rooms. And if the hotels have to throw out all contaminated carpeting, bedding, towels, etc., their costs are going to go through the roof, and hotel rooms will be unaffordable even for people who are not afraid to stay in them.

  6. :D

  7. This is why I will not allow my husband to put these bulbs in my children’s rooms.

    My question is what sort of environmental disaster is in the making when all the burned out bulbs end up in landfills?

    • Bob

      Yeah, someone in Hollywood should make a movie about THAT! Unlike disasters caused by earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, tornados, hurricanes, and so on, this one will be manmade — and entirely preventable.

    • Ting

      Are you stocking up on the old bulbs? I think the 100 watt ones are not going to be available after Dec. 31 of THIS year. There is a little more time on the other ones, maybe 2 more years.

  8. Bob

    For your edification and amusement, here is the brochure the EPA has put out to explain how to use curly-fry bulbs and how to dispose of broken ones:

    EPA brochure

  9. GP

    I just found this thread. You did a great job of putting together all these articles Chrissy. I am going to put a link to this page on my website if you don’t mind.
    One thing that really makes me livid is that the ADA is still denying the dangers of mercury amalgams. They know they will get their butts sued to extinction if they finally admit they are dangerous.
    I am still working to get the rest of mine removed. It is so expensive and it has to be done by a biological dentist or one can end up with a lot of toxic mercury in the body.
    Look under your tongue. If it is blue, chances are you have mercury in your mouth.

    • Bob

      Almost ten months after Chrissy posted this, it’s still getting hits. A lot of people seem to find it by googling “cfl bulbs dangerous” or similar search terms.

  10. Pingback: CFL bulbs emit UV rays | PoliNation